Setting a goal is easy. Sticking to it and keeping yourself motivated is the hard part. Luckily, there are plenty of things you can do to stay focused with just a little effort and creativity. Here are ten effective ways to spark your motivation and help you stay on the path to achieving your goals:
1. Tell your friends. If your friends and family know about your goal, they can help motivate you and provide helpful encouragement. Also, you’ll be more reluctant to give up if you know that you’ll disappoint your friends!
2. Find a role model. Find someone who’s already met the goal you’re working toward and use them as your motivation. Figure out how they got there, and ask them how they overcame their challenges. Seeing their success, or more importantly, the path they took to success, can inspire you to do the same. Whether it’s a pro athlete or your best friend, being able to see an embodiment of your end results reminds you that you can do it too!
3. Provide an incentive for yourself. Give yourself a reward for working toward your goal! For example, if your goal is to be more active, then only allow yourself to listen to the new episode of your favorite podcast if you’re on the treadmill. This is a great way to create positive reinforcement.
4. Find a partner. Everything is easier with a friend! Find someone who shares your goal and work together. On those days when you’re really having trouble staying motivated, it’s great to have someone there to give you that extra push. In addition, a partner can bring out your competitive side and give you the drive to keep going.
5. Make your progress tangible. Your goal may not always have tangible results, which are vital to keeping you motivated. When the process to achieving your goal is gradual, it’s harder to tell how much progress you’ve made. But with a little creativity, you can fix that! If you’re trying to lose weight, use two jars, one marked “Pounds to Lose,” and one marked “Pounds Lost.” If you’re trying to lose 20 pounds, fill the first jar with 20 marbles, and move a marble to the second jar for every pound you lose. This can help create a more visual representation of your goal and is extra helpful when you don’t feel like you’re seeing any results.
6. Visualize. It’s important that you always have the end goal in mind. Visualizing your results daily serves as a frequent reminder of what you’re working toward. Change your desktop wallpaper to a picture that represents your goal or keep a motivational quote on your car’s dashboard. Being able to keep the end in mind will help you see the big picture and keep working toward your goal.
7. Use someone else as motivation. You’re more likely to stick with your goal if you’re doing it for someone else. If you’re trying to quit smoking, do it because you want to set a good example for your kids instead of just for the personal benefits. You are more likely to stay motivated if their goal benefits someone they love.
8. Celebrate the little things. Every accomplishment matters on the path to meeting your goal! If you’re trying to eat better, then celebrate your first week without junk food. Reward yourself if you make significant progress toward your goal. It’s okay to be proud of yourself, even if you haven’t reached your goal yet.
9. Forgive yourself. Everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is to acknowledge that you messed up and move on. Dwelling on your mistakes will only create a negative mindset and prevent you from achieving your goal. Instead of concentrating on the mistake you made yesterday, focus on what you’re going to do today to get back on track.
10. Stay positive. No matter what, it’s crucial that you view your goal as something positive. Don’t treat it like a chore, and only talk about it with a positive attitude. Even on bad days, you have the power to change your attitude and adjust your mood.
Staying motivated is undoubtedly the hardest part of achieving a new goal. But following these tips will make the process much easier and help ensure your success!